Thursday, May 03, 2007

Sail Away Quilt

I promised several times to report about the Sail Away Quilt and the attentive reader noticed that I have this quilt on my goals for several month.

The story behind this quilt is following: My quilt group organizes an exhibition every 2.5 years. As closer as we get to the exhibition date we are worried that we don't have enough quilts to show. To avoid this situation we agreed that we will put a lot of patterns we bought in a big box and each one has to draw a pattern from the box and make the quilt. It don't have to be exactly that quilt. The pattern should work as suggestion. So everyone is free to vary the size, parts of the design or the colours. I draw the Sail Away Quilt.

You are preparing the stripes for the sea without rolers. Only with a rotary cutter using free-motion cutting.
The pattern says to appliqué sail boats. I thought that I would be very smart to avoid appliqué with piecing the boats into the stripes. Now I have a lot of problems to have proper boats and that it looks good when a boat has the height of three blue stripes.
This is mostly the reason why I hide the fabrics in a box and avoid working on it. But now the box is on top of my working table and I will try to continue over the week-end.


Tonight is group meeting again. At the moment we are holding these meetings at our homes because our meeting place belongs to the church and they need it for some reasons at the moment. We hope that we can have it in November when we will hold the exhibition.

3 comments:

CONNIE W said...

It's full of beautiful color. Can't wait to see more. :)

Blanca said...

Wow katja! It's very beautiful! I love blue colour.

Teodo said...

This quilt is very beautiful.
E' Bellissimo. ciao ciao