Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Patchwork class with Bernadette Mayr

Last year I started organizing a two-days patchwork class with the german quilt artist Bernadette Mayr for my quilt group.

Bernadette explaining theory at the board.

During the last years Bernadette wrote two books about the technique to create blocks and quilts for flowers and blooms (1st book); houses and buildings (2nd book) without the help of any rulers. You are allowed only to use the rotary cutter on a cutting map and cut everything free-handed. She is also an APQS quilt artist and some of her quilts were exebited around the world. I also saw one of her flowerquilts in a blog, but I don't remember whose blog it was.

Bernadette is an excellent teacher, telling funny stories and having very helpful hints and tricks. Okay, I had to make my own mistakes which I hopefully will avoid in future.

The first day we cut and pieced houses. We started with country houses, followed by city houses and the first day ended with elegant historic houses.

The second day we made churches and italian palaces. This was followed by all types of trees even in the third dimension. In the afternoon we had time to combine all these blocks we made to a quilt, but the country houses doesn't fit together with the city houses. So I pieced all the cityhouses blocks together and maybe I will make a pillow as Bernadette has in the book.

My houses are those in bright colours.

I will have to think about a quilt design, because we made the class for two purposes. First as an incentive for our last exebition and the second purpose was to get new ideas for quilts we will show at our next exebition.

After the lunchbreak of the second day we asked Bernadette for another class next year – same place, same time.

3 comments:

Joyce said...

The houses are really neat. THey remind me a bit of Tonya's wonky houses.

Angelikas quilts and knits said...

Ich wäre so gerne dabei gewesen :-)
Liebe Grüße
Angelika

Bente-I like to QuiltBlog said...

Hi Katja,
vielen Dank für den Link zu diesem Post. Ich glaube die Häuser hätten mir besser gefallen als Fische, but anyway...-es ging ja hauptsächtlich um die Begegnung mit Bernadette Mayr und das war ein grosses Erlebniss.
Ich würde mich über ein neus Posting vom dir freuen, wo du Häuserkissen zeigst *lach*
Außerdem wünsche ich dir einen schönen Tag ☺
Liebe Grüße
Bente